Morning sickness is something that most pregnant women will experience at some point and to some degree. It’s a part of the process that can be avoided but there are some tricks that may help to relieve it.
Morning sickness is one of the most common symptoms of pregnancy with 80 percent of women suffering from it. It varies in severity from woman to woman and despite the name can occur at any time of the day or night. Rather than morning sickness, the official name for the condition is nausea and vomiting in pregnancy. The following is a list of 7 tricks that have helped pregnant women cope with their morning sickness, some of them you may have heard of, others possibly not!
- Lightly pull your tongue using a cloth so you can grab it. The theory behind this trick is that is prevents the physical act of vomiting.
- The use of lavender oil is a fairly well known tip that can help in many areas of pregnancy but is particularly effective in relieving morning sickness. It can be used in variety of ways but some of the most popular include a few drops onto a cloth that can be breathed in when desired or mixed with peppermint oil in a burner. Alternatively, another effective method is to use a cold-lavender compress placed on the forehead at the same time as placing a warm lavender compress on the rib cage.
- Regular sessions of acupuncture have been effective for some women in relieving their morning sickness.
- A slightly strange tip is to drink a glass of water with two teaspoons of cider vinegar mixed in. The theory behind this is that during pregnancy women produce additional amounts of saliva, which can contribute to the nausea and vomiting. Vinegar will help to dry the mouth up a little bit.
- There is another theory, which suggests that the signals that pass from the brain to the stomach causing the feeling of morning sickness can actually be interrupted by music. There is a CD available that is called Morningwell and studies have shown that in 90 percent of women, listening to this music successfully eases their morning sickness.
- Another trick for relieving morning sickness is special drink that you can make yourself. Take half a glass of warm water and add a teaspoon of limejuice, a teaspoon of ginger juice, a teaspoon of honey and a teaspoon of mint juice. Try to drink a couple of glasses of the concoction every day until the nausea has improved. This usually takes around 4 days.
- Whilst you may not feel like eating a curry whilst suffering from morning sickness, there is something beneficial that can be taken away from curry leaves. You don’t have to eat them but instead can take a handful of leaves and crush them until the juice can be extracted. Drink this combined with honey and limejuice and take the occasional sip throughout the day.